Captain Henry l.Murray –Dunlop (1867-1919) was the son of Alexander and Eliza Ester Murray-Dunlop. They were largely responsible through their generosity for the building of the Free Church (widely known as the Murray-Dunlop church) at Corsock, completed in 1852. After retiring from the Royal Artillery, Captain Henry Murray-Dunlop travelled widely in the colonies and married a Canadian. He was the first person in the county to own a motor car. He recognised the revolutionary changes that would rapidly follow the evolution of the petrol engine.
The window, dedicated to him and made in 1923, is on the east wall of the half octagon chancel, an extension to the original church built in 1912 .It is Lancet shaped and represents the Three Maries at the Tomb. An Angel in white appears to the three women. The canopy above is reminiscent of the hammer Beam roof at Westminster hall.
Identity of the three Marys.
In the Gospels, only Mark 16.1 names the three Marys as Mary Magdalene, Mary, the mother of James and Mary Salome. In his article on Corsock for the” Scots Magazine” Dr Burnet, former Minister of Corsock states that the Figure dressed in Blue in the foreground, with long auburn hair is Mary Magdalene. Close to her left hand is a small stoppered jar. He makes no comment about the other two figures. One of these is dressed in red with auburn hair and carrying an urn or jar, traditionally the accessory associated with Mary Magdalene. It is a matter of conjecture what the designer of the window was depicting as we have no record of these details. I am tempted to think that the foreground figure in blue was meant to be Mary the mother of Jesus despite there being no record of this in the Gospels. She was of course one of the three Marys at the Crucifixion.
The Text above the dedication reads “He is not here for he is risen” and below the dedication, "He giveth his beloved sleep”