1725 Lead squares inscribed KPD with plain reverse
1843 Lead ovals issued nationally by the Free Church on its establishment. Inscribed “Free Church of Scotland” and on the reverse
“Let a man examine himself” 1Cor.X1 vv.28.
1850 Lead ovals inscribed Kirkpatrick-Durham enclosing a blank oval and on the reverse a cartouche containing the number 1,2or3 under the heading “Table” (A tent was erected in the churchyard and the tables for communion set up and numbered)
Communion tokens of this kind were in common use throughout the Church of Scotland until the turn of the 19th century, when they were gradually replaced by cards.300 years ago communion was normally held once a year but in some places as rarely as every 9 years. These occasions were therefore of great significance and attendance was keenly sought.
Only those church goers considered worthy received a token, which allowed participation in the communion service. For example in 1710 a Midlothian minister announced from the pulpit, “Nane get tokens but those that have bidden tryall and are found well instructit in the Belief, Lord’s Prayer and Ten commandments
The tokens are on display in Kirkpatrick-Durham Church Hall.